Social Opportunities and Recreation (SOAR) provides families, with children ages 12 – 21 enrolled in middle and high school, with three program options at various locations throughout St. Charles County: Teen Club, Break Camp, and Summer Camp.
All three program options are provided within an engaging, fun, safe, and supervised environment where the children are encouraged to enhance their independence, as well as their communication, socialization, and job/life skills.
SOAR not only provides children with a program that fosters relationship building but also assists parents with maintaining employment while increasing family stability.
• Must be between the ages of 12 and 21 and/or enrolled in middle school (6th grade) or high school (an exception MAY be granted to attend Summer Camp one summer following graduation pending available resources for residents of St Charles County only).
• Has a diagnosis of a developmental disability.
• Has either a DMH or DDRB case manager with a DMH ID number. Or, has Information Coordination through the Department of Mental.
• Free from severe maladaptive behaviors that are dangerous to self or others and/or infringe upon the rights of self or others.
• Exhibits behavior consistent with available resources including staff’s ability to manage the individual’s behavior.
• Does not require skilled nursing care (injections, etc.).
• Requires support to achieve personal leisure or recreational outcomes.
• Completes an admissions packet and intake meeting.
• Individuals must be “free” of suicidal attempts and psychiatric hospital stays (related to suicidal thoughts/attempts) for two years prior to being considered for services.
Teen Club is an after-school program offered from the time school releases until 6:00 pm. Programming is offered at various locations throughout St. Charles County. Transportation may be provided by the school districts to the child’s specific Teen Club location. Preplanned activities include cooking, crafts, field trips, outdoor play, and more.
Sliding-scale scholarships may be available to those who qualify.
Summer Camp is a nine-week program, which provides a full day of preplanned summer activities and field trips in a supportive environment.
Summer Camp allows children to build friendships, increase independence and stay active while assisting parents in maintaining their employment.
Camp hours are 7:00 am – 6:00 pm Monday through Friday at four locations within St. Charles County. Parents/caregivers are responsible for camp drop-off and pick up while field trip transportation is provided by Community Living.
We work with parents and the school districts to make accommodations for children who are also enrolled in summer school.
Summer camp is charged at a tiered daily rate plus the cost of field trips. Tiers include quarter, half, three-quarters, and full-day options. Sliding-scale scholarships may be available to those who qualify.
Break Camp provides a full day of programming in a supportive environment when the school districts are on Fall, Winter, and Spring Break.
Break Camp allows children to build friendships, increase independence and stay active while assisting parents in maintaining their employment.
Camp hours are 7:00 am – 6:00 pm Monday through Friday at the Family Center which is located in O’Fallon, MO. Parents/caregivers are responsible for camp drop-off and pick-up while field trip transportation is provided by Community Living.
For each Break Camp, parents are provided with a calendar of events which shows, daily, what the children will be participating in.
Break camp is offered at a daily rate plus the cost of field trips. Sliding-scale scholarships may be available to those who qualify.
Prices and locations subject to change.
“Every interaction that he had with Community Living helped him prepare for the transition [to college].”
Tonya, Teen Club Parent
Interested in learning more about Social Opportunities and Recreation (SOAR)? Tell us more about the potential participant:
Director of Recreation Services