The Independent Living Assistance (ILA) Instructor is a part-time (24 hours) position Sunday-Friday 10a-2p. The position provides assistance and training to support high-functioning participants with maintaining independence in their homes and communities. Staff must be able to work unsupervised, know how to use a laptop or tablet to type notes and do other paperwork, check emails, and be comfortable transporting the participants in personal vehicle.
Independent Living Assistance participant goals include: budgeting and checkbook balancing; healthy lifestyle, including menu planning, grocery shopping and following medical advice; active lifestyle, including exercising & exploring recreation opportunities; caring for home and sometimes pet(s); attending to car and home maintenance issues; etc.
Starting Wage: $10.50
- Demonstrate flexibility and adapt to changes; must be able to meet scheduling needs of assigned clients, which may include evening or weekend meetings
- At least one year experience in the human services field
- Must be energetic, self-motivated, and able to work without direct supervision at all times
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively communicate, build rapport and relate well to all kinds of people
- Demonstrate self-control and the ability to manage time and priorities
- Ability to facilitate and support the personal growth of participants, including assistance/guidance with above listed goals
- Ability to effectively handle difficult or sensitive issues by utilizing tact and diplomacy
- Ability to think quickly on their feet and remain calm in crisis situations
- Must be computer literate, with ability to utilize email, word processing, and other common computer programs and functions
- Must be able to transport client in personal or agency vehicle (must maintain valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance)
PREREQUISITES FOR EMPLOYMENT:
ACCEPTABLE RESULTS FROM:
- Pre-employment drug test
- Criminal Background Check
- Division of Aging Employee Disqualification List
- Driver’s License: a valid driver’s License, proof of vehicle insurance and an acceptable driving record must be maintained. Must be able to drive a car and/or van.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran