This position provides support to individuals with developmental disabilities that require protective oversight, behavioral support or assistance with the activities of daily living (ADL), certain independent activities of daily living (IADL) and CNA tasks as directed by a nurse.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Becomes familiar with individuals program plan. Performs activities outlined on the program plan to achieve the goals and expectations identified.
- Provides care including tube feedings, nebulizer treatments, ostomy care and other types of care as directed by a nurse.
- Transports clients safely.
- Incorporates assistance of individuals as often as possible in order to teach life skills. Example: meals, hygiene and daily living.
- Responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of all center areas.
- Assists individuals with activities of daily living such as feeding, toileting, personal hygiene and changing clothes.
- Assists with participation in community activities and modifies activities as needed.
- Facilitates order in a manner agreeable with agency directives, as well as with the individual’s program plan.
- Assists Manager, Coordinator and Center Specialist in implementing individual and group activities. Provides input into each client’s plan.
- Ensure the safety and welfare of all clients.
- Get to know each client and anticipate the client’s needs.
- Accurately pass all medications when applicable.
- Acts and supports situations such as seizures and behavioral issues in a prompt and professional manner.
- In case of an emergency requiring medical care, 9-1-1 should be called and an ambulance should be summoned.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- High school diploma or GED.
- CNA Certification.
- 1-year experience preferred.
- Good communication and organizational skills.
- Possess good listening and comprehension skills.
- Must be able to write and document in a clear, concise professional manner.
- Must possess computer skills that include the ability to navigate, use email and Microsoft office.
- Ability to work as a team member.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Missouri Driver’s License
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Drive large van to and from events, programs, etc. Must assist clients entering and exiting the van. Lock down wheel chairs on vans.
- Physically assist participants as needed.
- Lift participants who cannot bear weight.
- Push and maneuver wheel chairs.
- Moderate Work: Exerts up to 50lbs of force occasionally and 20lbs frequently. Standing, sitting, reaching, typing and walking are common.
PREREQUISITES FOR EMPLOYMENT:
ACCEPTABLE RESULTS FROM:
- Pre-employment drug test
- Criminal Background Check
- Division of Aging Employee Disqualification List Check.
- Driver’s License, proof of insurance and an exceptional driving record must be maintained. Must be able to drive a large van and take and pass defensive driving course.